tiistai 11. marraskuuta 2014

Girl with the grey hoodie

One of my friends has this favourite story about my life. She can't help but laugh every time it is even mentioned.

Do you remember those Fruit of the loom hoodies in every colour of the rainbow back in the 90s? (Or was it very early 00s, I cannot remember) Most of my friends, and what seemed to be the current world, had those hoodies in many of their favourite colours. I begged my father to buy me one as well. As a good single father he agreed to buy one. Just one. Why would I need the same hoodie in more than one colour, you know. One was enough. So what do I do? From all the colours, I pick grey.

Everyone had pinks and reds and greens and yellows. I have a grey one. And I was not allowed more. I remember thinking that black is too dark and you can't see the logo on it, so a grey is good since it goes with all my clothes. Very good thinking of me, at that young age I must admit. So there I was. A girl with the grey hoodie. Father thought it was a good hoodie. It served its purpose and did not break. The only way I was going to get a new one was if the old one would break. It did not. Damn quality clothes.

I've gone back to that story many times in my adult life. I grew up with things that served their purpose. Some of them were DIY, most of them mended by hand, everything very cost effective. That is how it is when a man is in charge of the household. It does not need to be pretty, if it works, it is good. When I grew up and had a little space of my own to use as I please, I thought, is it good? Or could it also be pretty? Could it be functional and pretty? A little research later I found my answer. YES!

I want all of my every day objects to be pretty. This has now resulted couple of problems. For example, my bathroom does not go together with the soap dispenser I got. Less problematic things I've found are my all black dish washing equipment.


Why shouldn't it all be pretty?

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti