I think I could tell a little bit of what I did yesterday. Again, my camera had a vacation so these are just snaps with my phone.
Visiting Porvoo in the summer gives this instant feeling of being somewhere else than in Finland. Especially around the old town. Only sad part was that Porvoo closes so early, so by the time we were moving, we only got to admire the windows of all the little shops. My friend was waiting for the shopping night, when the shops are open later than normally. Worth to check it out!
My friend recommended we sit down for dinner in Johans summer restaurant and I must say... Definitely worth every penny spent. Located at the street by the river, Jokikatu, we walked around the corner and entered this closed yard just on the river with plank tables and parasols. Luckily we had a reservation, else we would have been turned down.
The view was very pretty, but the thing that was better than the view, was the food. We ordered Toast Skagen for start and I must say, it was the best Skagen I've ever had. It was creamy, smooth and had so much flavour. Prawns are not usually in my menu, but in a Skagen I am willing to make an exception. In this Skagen, I was very happy to make that exception.
For main we had Johans burgers. Angus beef on a dark bun with amazing caramelized onions. There are burgers and there are Burgers. Lately, with my long-term-over-night-guest we have been browsing through many restaurant with burgers and now when I have been eating at restaurants, I've ordered burgers on my own too. This was definitely on the Very Yummy! end of the scale.
The lovely waitress recommended the raspberry pavlova for dessert and it was very good end to the meal on a warm summer evening by the river. The pavlova came with mango sorbet and was sweet and sour the way mangos and raspberries are at the same time. Full of flavor and cool. As they say in Masterchef Australia: "Yum!"
After the dinner we took a stroll down the street alongside the river and looked at the windows of handicraft boutiques and antique stores. Next time we need to be there earlier, so we get to see what's inside too. As we walked across the bridge towards the old train station of Porvoo, we could smell the tar coming from the direction of the old wooden church. Made us thing what we could tar in our homes so we could have this scent more in our lives!
At the old train station we daydreamed of buying one of the old station buildings and renovating them into homes. Just imagine living inside the big hall of the trains with the big double doors. To have a hot summer morning and pulling them completely open and enjoying your morning coffee by the open doors, while the smell of the old train tracks fills your home. Oh to have such money and the skills to renovate something like that!
I have plenty of new stuff at home. Also, there was a little trip to Gothenburg, Sweden with very nice places. Perhaps more about those later?










Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti