sunnuntai 18. lokakuuta 2015

Welcome to my bedroom

I realised that I have a home blog, but I haven't introduced my home properly yet. My bedroom was the first room to get ready when I moved in and the first room to get a "make-over", when I had gone through my home once.

When I was looking for apartments, one of my key requirements was to have a room for sleeping and clothing storage. I had been living in studios before and disliked how my sleeping area was always in my livingroom. My guests most often had to sit on my bed and that was not ideal. I held on to that requirement refusing to compromise and I am glad I didn't have to.

The idea for the bedroom was, to put it simply, a place in the clouds. Very calm and clean space for sleeping. Since the apartment is small, clothing storage had to be here too. On the opposing wall of the window there are 3 very large, original fitted in wardrobes holding my clothes, bedsheets, yarn and some of my shoes.

When I moved in, the end wall here was bright purple and the first thing I did was to paint it white. For a year it stood white waiting for the right wall paper. This spring I bumped into this white on white dotted wall paper. The dots are pearly white, so they reflect light a little different, depending on the angle. I really like it. It gives a little life to the large wall and my friends have commented the dots being very much like me. Perfect!

The head board for the bed is DIY. I got some left over wood to make a square frame, on top of it I slaughtered an old foam mattress and used some left over padding from my crafts to soften the edges. On top of them I pinned an old white sheet to hold it all together. From the fabric store I bought white fake leather and some buttons. The back is stapled together and the buttons sewn on.


Kartell's Componibili is second hand from a friend of mine. On top of it is my wake up light. A saviour of work mornings.


Opposite side of the bed I have a project going on. First the idea was to have a giant world map where I would pin the places I have been to. As I realised the map would be rather empty still, I could use this space to get art prints of all the cities/countries I've been to. The idea came to me in Stockholm when I was flipping through the posters of Moderna Museet shop and found this Stockholm print of Ingela Arrhenius. So then I had Stockholm acquired. I set my eyes on Riffle Paper's Amsterdam print, but ran into a problem... It was nowhere to be found. Until this September my partner gave it to me as a birthday gift. The 1,2,3 is my German friend's handwriting. I have an idea brewing on how to rearrange these.


Initially this mirror was supposed have much simpler frame, but as I was browsing mirrors in Jysk, I figured a bit more look to it wouldn't be a bad thing. So I went for the white one instead of the silver coloured frame.


So I mentioned on an earlier post that I read somewhere, you should forget plastic flowers, but I really wanted an orchid in my bedroom and I am not such a green thumb I could make one survive in my care, so I decided to screw it and got a plastic one anyway. The snow globes are from Amsterdam and Rome. Perhaps I should start collecting those?


Muurame's drawer serves as my first night stand. On the stand I have a picture of my sweet grandparents.


The Muurame drawer was found at the local flea market at a no price at all.


This poser got interested to see what I was doing and after that it was really difficult to get a shot without her trying to get in front of the camera. On the bed I have the sheets from the Hotel selection series of Hemtex. They too were a birthday present from my partner. Both me and my four legged friend like them very much. I need to get more blankets on the bed, since it is impossible to keep a cat off the bed when she has decided to be on the bed.



Hay's Loop hanger was second hand from my friend. It still needs some hangers that would fit them properly.


One of the small details I love about my apartment are the old door handles. They are original from the 60s. I love the roundness of them.


I had trouble finding good rugs on the floors, since stepping out to the cold floor in the mornings didn't sound like an appealing idea. So again, when I didn't find what I liked, I had to make it myself. 

There are still couple of things I would want to do in my bedroom in small scale. I would want to paint the window frames white and change the foot boards. On a larger scale I would want to rebuild my wardrobes. Since they are fitted in, the wardrobe sets from, for example, Ikea are the wrong size. I am thinking of custom made with sliding doors.

With my bedroom, I wish you happy sleepings!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti